- Department – Primary Process, Lab
- Location – Myrtle Farm, Sandford, Somerset, BS25 5RA
- Closing Date – April 16th 2021
- Start Date – June 2021
- Working Pattern – Fixed term contract (8-10 weeks)
- Hours – Full time, variety of 12-hour shifts Monday-Sunday, including days and nights (A full season rota will be issued at the start of employment)
Established in 1904 by William John Thatcher, we have grown into one of the top cider-making businesses in the world. Now in our fourth generation of family cider makers, we’re exceptionally proud of what we have achieved, and we are even more excited about our plans. We continue to experience huge growth of our Brands through industry-leading levels of investment in marketing, people development, innovation, and world class technical enhancements in cider mill machinery.
For many years we have worked with LRS to press all their blackcurrants on site here at Myrtle Farm. This takes place from June to August. We’re now looking for a temporary team to help us with this process over the summer months.
Working as part of our seasonal team you will be responsible for working in the lab to ensure that all fruit tests are carried out correctly and efficiently. This opportunity is for anyone who wants to pursue a career in a science-based role to help build upon their experience. The product, both at various steps of processing, and the final product are tested by the laboratory technicians.
What you’ll be doing:
Lab technicians will be expected to:
- Carry out a variety of instrument-based tests including automated steam distillation, density measurement, spectrophotometric measurements, and moisture balance, amongst others.
- There are also tests involving traditional ‘wet chemistry’; all using titrations. Again, the testing frequencies are well defined.
- Ensure the lab is kept clean and tidy.
- Maintaining stock and working solutions of all chemicals and consumables.
- Recording test results accurately and promptly into the computer system via a tablet.
- Liaise with production to ensure any instances of non-conforming product are escalated and corrected.
- Responsible for calculating how non-conformant product needs to be corrected; using basic ratio math’s and systems built into Excel spreadsheets.
Who we’re looking for?
The Thatchers team is action-orientated, adaptable and resourceful with high levels of resilience to compete in an exciting yet competitive marketplace. We work hard and, together, we achieve great things.
- Background in Science
- IT literate – the ability to record data
- Accurate and good attention to detail
- Takes responsibility with a positive can-do attitude
- Trustworthy individual – to get the job done
- Works calm under pressure
- Organised and punctual
- Good interpersonal skills
Ideally a qualification in science would be advantageous but not essential.
Training and Development:
Full training is given during your induction on all requirements of this role.
Whilst this is a temporary role, Thatchers is a growing brand and we are continually look for new people to join our teams and develop their career with us potentially in the future.
As this is a short, fixed term role for the summer period you would not be expected to take a significant amount of time off over the course of the season.