Hints & Tips on CV & Application
A CV is an important document as it is your chance to tell us about the amazing things you do and why you are suitable for the role. Here are our top tips:
- Tailor your CV to the role you are applying for. Read job descriptions to make sure you include in your CV how you can demonstrate the skills and qualities an employer’s looking for.
- Research the company – look at their website to understand what the company is all about – having that knowledge will be so powerful if you are invited to interview. You will be able to talk confidently and ask questions about the business. Think why you want to work for the company.
- Apply any knowledge or skills that match the job ad – companies appreciate young people won’t have had experience but it’s all about showcasing transferable skills from your hobbies and interests such as team sports or groups you may be a part of.
- Use you careers advisors at school or college to help you apply along with your parents/ carers/ guardians/relatives. You should always get somebody to proof-read your CV for spelling and grammar before submitting it – first impressions count. Above all have confidence in your ability, believe in yourself, if you show passion and enthusiasm that can go a long way.
- Your cover letter should be tailored to the job you are applying for. It allows you to shine. Put content in here that may not fit on your CV.
- Your CV should aim to be around 2 pages max.